I certainly am not a big fan of any watch strap that isn’t leather, stainless steel or white gold. But recently I find the NATO strap quite appealing.
Maybe the reason I didn’t like it in the first time was a lot of young souls in the city are wearing one (Daniel Wellington made it so popoular). I’m a old-school person and prefer leather and stainless steel strap for a watch way more. And I don’t want to wear something that everyone is wearing and risk being a hipster.
My family and friends start to wear NATO watch strap, and they do look good in them! I start to take my biases aside, and really appreciate the beauty of it. After a while I find some good things of NATO strap:
- Although James Bond never wears a NATO watch, Sean Connery wore something similar in Goldfinger (1965).
- It’s breathable, washable and doesn’t deteriorate like leather. It’s less likely to make your wrist sweat during summer time. It can be exposed to water, dirt and dust and still shows no signs of wear.
- It’s fashionable and versatile. You can dress your outfit down by wear NATO watch, and you can utilize the colors of the strap to match with your outfits, whether it’s casual, smart casual or smart. It’s as timeless and elegant as traditional straps.
- It’s cost-effective. You can get a few of them in various colors at a reasonable price and change them occasionally. Just by changing the strap your watch becomes a brand new one.
- When a girl wears it, it gives a military and unisex look that is effortlessly cool.
- You can install the strap into your watch in less than 2 minutes.
- It can be swapped without a spring bar tool.
- Because leather and steel straps are so traditional, NATO strap is different.
- The mix of affordable NATO strap and a luxury watch is interesting and even more different.
I might have become a hipster now, but I really love the simplicity and versatility of NATO watch. It’s not surprise that a lot of watch houses are putting NATO watches into their collections.
I can already see myself wear the NATO strap very often this summer. You too?
(Watch in the cover photo is from IWC, NATO strap is from MisterChrono)